FAQ: Writing Adventures
Q: I want to write adventures that take place on Tékumel for my blog or create other Tékumel-related items to share for free. Can I?
A: Fans of the World of Tékumel have drawn on and added to the rich setting in various media over the years. The Foundation has no desire to interrupt the free flow of ideas and non-commercial additions to the World of Tékumel; however, it cannot allow others to benefit financially from Professor Barker’s years of work without compensating his heirs.
The Foundation has a liberal use policy for fan-created works not intended for sale, and for which you are not seeking approval as “authorized” Tékumel material (“Fan Publications”). Specifically, all materials written by Dr. Barker (“Official Tékumel” materials) may be drawn upon for the purpose of creating derivative works (e.g., new adventures, new characters, etc.) in the form of Fan Publications, subject to the following conditions:
- You will not seek direct payment or remuneration in any form for the publication, distribution, or other development of the work. This means that you cannot charge for access to a website containing Tékumel-based materials you have written; however, you may display advertising on a website containing Tékumel-based materials you have written. If you have any questions about whether your website’s money-makers are permissible, please feel free to contact the Foundation at email@example.com.
- If an opportunity to receive any form of payment or remuneration is presented to you, you will contact the Foundation through the usual channels for inquiries (see below) to receive the appropriate permissions. You understand that if the Foundation does not grant these permissions, you may not receive the offered compensation.
- You must place in a prominent location (for example, at the beginning , at the foot of each relevant page, or in the credits) the following statement:
- “This work is a Fan Publication, an unofficial work not approved for Tékumel. Tékumel, the Empire of the Petal Throne, and all related products and materials are protected by national and international intellectual property law. For additional information, please visit http://www.tekumelfoundation.org.”
- You will not challenge the ownership of any intellectual property relating to the World of Tékumel based on copyright, trademark, or any other theory of ownership or law.
- You acknowledge and agree that the materials contained in your Fan Publication may be identical with or similar to materials that the Tékumel Foundation or its licensees or other parties have independently developed; that you shall not be entitled to any compensation by reason of the use by the Tékumel Foundation or its licensees of such identical or similar material; and that the ideas, concepts, know-how, or techniques contained in any Fan Publication may be freely used by the Foundation, its licensees or any third party for any purpose whatsoever.
- The Tékumel Foundation would like to preserve copies of all works relating to the World of Tékumel, including any Fan Publications. You may choose to provide a copy of your work for the records of the Tékumel Foundation, to be held as part of the Tékumel archive. In addition, by using the rights granted in these Policies, you agree that you will provide such a copy if requested by the Foundation. You may submit your copy electronically in PDF format by emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org , or you may mail a copy to The Tékumel Foundation, Box 23, 2500 University Avenue West, St. Paul, MN, USA 55114.
- You acknowledge and agree that the permission granted in these Policies may be revoked at any time with thirty (30) days’ notice to you. If your permission is revoked, you will remove the Fan Publication from any publicly available location within thirty (30) days of receiving notice to do so.